The NADSP mission is to promote the development of a highly competent human services workforce that supports individuals in achieving their life goals.
A major life goal of most individuals is successful employment. As a founding member of the Alliance for Full Participation, the NADSP fully supports the AFP agenda of making fully integrated employment a reality for all people with disabilities. The NADSP recognizes the critical role of the direct support professional (DSP) in supporting persons with disabilities to find and maintain successful employment of his or her choice within the community. A healthy DSP workforce is necessary for the full participation of individuals with disabilities in employment.
The NADSP will conduct the following activities to advance the agenda of the Alliance for Full Participation:
- Promote the employment principles of the AFP to direct support professionals and frontline supervisors through the NADSP website, listserves, and E-Flash.
- Publish one issue of Frontline Initiative on the topic of the DSP role in community employment of persons with disabilities.
- Create awareness of employment issues raised by the AFP in the disability community through communications to DSPs, FLSs, and friends and allies of NADSP.
- Develop strategies to reach increased numbers of DSPs who support people in employment and engage them in activities of the NADSP to promote the following goals.
- Enhance the status of direct support professionals.
- Provide better access for all direct support professionals to high quality educational experiences (e.g., in-service training, continuing and higher education) and lifelong learning that enhances competency.
- Strengthening the working relationships and partnerships between direct support professionals, self-advocates, and other consumer groups and families.
- Promote systems reform that provides incentives for educational experiences, increased compensation, and access to career pathways for direct support professionals through the promotion of policy initiatives (e.g., legislation, funding, practices).
- Support the development and implementation of a national volunteer credentialing process for direct support professionals.
- Support AFP state team activities by promoting participation of DSPs.
- Participate in other activities that promote the goals of both the NADSP and AFP.