This is the first level of credential offered. The DSP-R is intended to recognize people who have entered the profession and desire to have careers in the field of community human services. It is not intended to be a credential for which NADSP prescribes or sanctions DSP competence. DSP-R applications that are complete and include payment will be reviewed within 6 weeks of receipt. Applications will not be reviewed until payment has been received. Applicants should ensure they meet the following criteria before applying.
- Documentation showing a cleared criminal background check within the past twelve months in the state the DSP is employed (there is some variation by state);
- Letter from employer indicating that the DSP:
- has completed all required training and orientation as prescribed by the state and an employer in community human services or a person who self-directs her or his own services and supports;
- has six months continuous and current employment with an employer in community human services or a person who self-directs his or her own services and supports;
- is an employee in good standing and legally able to work in the United States
- Letter of intended professional commitment from the DSP which describes the DSP’s values, commitment to and purpose for entering the profession; and
- Signed and dated commitment to adhere to NADSP’s Code of Ethics.
- Officially embossed certificate that identifies the DSP as a DSP- Registered;
- Lapel pin that says “Direct Support Professional - Registered,”
- Personalized letter from NADSP congratulating the DSP on committing to the profession of direct support.
Fee: $50; Re-certification: Requied Annually; one-time appplication fee, no renewal fee. Click here for the DSP-R Annual Renewal form.
What happens after I apply?
Your DSP-Registration application packet will be reviewed by NADSP within 4-6 weeks after the date that we receive it. If your application meets the criteria for the DSP-R credential, you will receive your DSP-Registered recognition package.
Once you become credentialed at the DSP-Registered level, you will be eligible to move forward to additional levels of credentialing that recognize your skill-based competency in providing direct support to individuals who use community human services.